As in the Christian world it is before Christ or after, in the Indian film history it is before Sholay or after, says filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, and interestingly the film is etched in the memory the generation that came before Sholay and the one that followed. There is no escaping Ramesh Sippy's magical action-thriller that was to change the face of Hindi cinema with its release exactly 40 years ago.
Some of the memorable dialogues were spoken by Gabbar Singh who made his entry an hour after the film started and these are quotable quotes even today: 'Tera kya hoga Kaaliya!', 'Arre O Sambha, kitne aadmi the?' or 'Bahut yaarana lagta hai! "These dialogues are still repeated by youngsters," says Navdeep Brar, a fresh MBA passout from Panjab University, adding "this film is a link between the past generation and the present. Both relate to it well."
The funniest was when a junior engineer climbed atop a water tank in Sirsa last year to get his wife back from her maternal home. The Sholay act went on for hours till the police arrested him for attempting suicide. "Come along with us. We'll get your Basanti back," a policeman told him after the arrest.
Read:Why they want Sholay banned
- What are some recursive equations
- Is CBD the new snake oil
- Which major is better accounting or business
- How do led TV screens work
- Why do we avoid overzealous advice
- Can Indians pursue a career in journalism
- Is Germantown MD a ghetto or unsafe
- Why do people cheat rather than leave
- Which websites offer practice commercial photography assignments
- How was the Pinochet dictatorship
- Where can I sell knitted fabrics
- Are drug users welcome in Alcoholics Anonymous
- How does international marketing work
- What is the history of dentistry
- What happens to a bride at home