Phosphate group in DNA is the reason for negative charge
The presence of phosphate groups in nucleotides.
A nucleotide consists of a sugar phosphate backbone and a nitrogenous base.
More details on DNA structure is here.
In DNA double helix, the two strands are joined together by hydrogen bond between nitrogenous bases.
What is phosphodiester bond?
Adjacent nucleotides are joined by phosphodiester bond. One phosphoric acid molecule joins with the hydroxyl group of two sugar molecules of two nucleotides forming ester linkage.
In the figure you can see that the first ester linkage (C-O bond in red color) is at the third position of sugar molecule (3’ OH position) and the second ester linkage is at the fifth position of second sugar molecule of the incoming nucleotide (5’ CH2OH). Thus two ester bonds are formed and called as phosphodiester bond.
Why phosphates in DNA?
In DNA, the nucleotides are joined through phosphate forming phosphodiester bond. The characteristics of phosphate that makes it a perfect molecule for bonding include:
The negative charge of the DNA is due to phosphodiester bond that keeps the nucleotides and DNA within the nuclear membrane. Negatively charged molecules are insoluble in lipids therefore DNA cannot move across lipid made nuclear membrane.
Phosphate groups can from linked bonds.
The bonds formed from phosphates are ester bonds that are stable. At the same time theses bonds can be easily hydrolysed by enzymes.
- Why do religious people not doubt themselves
- Can god summon us
- Which handheld gun has the highest recoil
- Why should wealthy countries help poor countries?no_redirect=1
- What are some creative uses for wood
- Are anxiety dreams dangerous
- Is the ICSE 10th examination the toughest
- What does general liability insurance not cover
- How do I learn Java programming fast
- Was Bob Ross gay
- How did Eminem get famous?no_redirect=1
- What does Islam say about Jesus
- Who is the best male or female
- How can I crowdfund a college project
- Do you prefer weight training or calisthenics
- Could a human kill a lion
- What is the news about Zika virus
- How does politics affect teachers