The Importance of Good Nutrition
Why it's important
Most people know good nutrition and physical activity can help maintain a healthy weight. But the benefits of good nutrition go beyond weight. Good nutrition can help:
- Reduce the risk of some diseases, including heart disease, diabetes, stroke, some cancers, and osteoporosis
- Reduce high blood pressure
- Lower high cholesterol
- Improve your well-being
- Improve your ability to fight off illness
- Improve your ability to recover from illness or injury
- Increase your energy level
What is good nutrition?
Good nutrition means your body gets all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals it needs to work its best. Plan your meals and snacks to include nutrient-dense foods that are also low in calories.
Tips for eating well
Eat plenty of fruit
To get the benefit of the natural fiber in fruits, you should eat fruit whole rather than as juices.
Eat plenty of vegetables
Eat a variety of colors and types of vegetables every day.
Eat plenty of whole grains
At least half of the cereals, breads, crackers, and pastas you eat should be made from whole grains.
Choose low fat or fat free milk
These provide calcium and vitamin D to help keep your bones strong.
Choose lean meats
Lean cuts of meat and poultry have less fat and fewer calories but are still good sources of protein.
Try other sources of protein
Try replacing meats and poultry with fish, beans, or tofu.
How to fix 5 common eating problems
As you age, you may lose interest in eating and cooking. Small changes can help you overcome some of the challenges to eating well.
1. Food no longer tastes good.
Try new recipes or adding different herbs and spices. Some medicines can affect your appetite or sense of taste - talk to your doctor.
2. Chewing difficulty.
Try softer foods like cooked vegetables, beans, eggs, applesauce, and canned fruit. Talk to your doctor or dentist if there is a problem with your teeth or gums.
3. Poor digestion.
Talk to your doctor or registered dietician to figure out which foods to avoid while still maintaining a balanced diet.
4. Eating alone.
Try dining out with family, friends, or neighbors. See if your local senior center hosts group meals.
5. Difficulty shopping or cooking.
Check with your local senior center for programs that can help you with shopping or preparing meals.
Learn more about good nutrition from our Health Library:
How Our Plans Can Help
Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred plans cover colorectal, prostate and breast cancer screenings which can help detect cancer before symptoms occur, when treatment can be more effective.
Annual Wellness Exam
Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred plans cover an Annual Wellness Exam each plan year. This is a more comprehensive doctor’s office visit designed to develop or update a personalized plan to prevent disease or disability based on your current health risk factors.
Learn more about our PlansMember Portal Log In
You might also be interested in ...
Stay Active: Make an Exercise Plan That's Right for You
Incorporating an exercise plan into your weekly schedule is a great way to increase your overall health and well-being.Read more
The Importance of Preventive Health
Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred is committed to helping you lead a healthy, active lifestyle. As part of this commitment, we encourage you to use our preventive health services. Taking part in preventive health helps to stop illness before it happens and is one of the best ways you can stay healthy.Read more
There is no one cause of depression. For some people, a single event can bring on the illness, while others become depressed for no clear reason. Genetics can play a role and studies have shown that depression may run in families.Read more
- Is Israel really looking for Imam Mahdi
- Does Quora have its own emojis
- Can the pope be any race
- Can a Christian teacher teach Muslim children
- Who is Brendon Urie
- Is chronic fatigue syndrome a mental disorder
- Does a romance novel need steamy scenes
- What is a sarcomere
- Who designed the Airbnb iPhone app
- Do some women find athletic men attractive
- Is it okay to kill robbers
- What countries share visa information with Singapore
- Can QuickBooks replace an accountant
- What on Earth is a lexical item
- What large cities have you been to
- What are the solutions for microplastic pollution
- What are internal and external organizations
- Why arent fake websites being taken down
- Do Jews and Arabs share DNA
- Where do Buddhists find meaning in life