If one views the suffrage movement from beginning to end, it is important to note how long it took to achieve the final goal of the 19th Amendment. From the Seneca Falls Convention until the ratification of the 19th Amendment, about 72 years passed. This is due to the great amounts of opposition and resistance the movement faced. Anti-suffrage organizations formed, newspaper articles and petitions were created, and men started to argue that granting women the right to vote was “challenging the ‘natural order’ of society” (1).
Anti-Suffrage reformers saw the role of women as a maternal role and a role of service and small influence on men, and only for good. The Women’s National Anti-Suffrage League was formed in 1908 and the Anti-Suffrage Review was created to denounce the behavior of all suffragists (2). This movement against the suffrage reform movement motivated women to fight even harder. It was important that women faced resistance because it added to the movement and provided a way they could fight back. When analyzing the road to the 19th Amendment, it is important to note the opposition women faced because it was yet another obstacle they had to overcome in order to achieve their goal.
Resistance began to burn down when Wyoming granted women the right to vote in 1869, beginning the state by state process leading up to the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920. (3)
1) Click, Laurel. “Women’s Suffrage.” Study.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015.
2) “Anti-Suffrage.” The Suffragettes. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2015.<http://www.thesuffragettes.org/history/anti-suffrage/>.
3) “Women’s Suffrage.” United States History. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 May 2015. <http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1097.html>.
- Why are so many creatures endangered
- Is Facebook a free site now
- What is the most controversial song ever?no_redirect=1
- Why is Veteran Unemployment so High
- Why do people love Prague so much
- What jobs are there in political communication
- What is ATA
- When did Sheffield FC move to Derbyshire
- What is the solution for weak nerve
- What atrocities did Hitler commit
- How can I climb a rope
- Is everything made up of matter
- What are odd even and prime numbers
- Has poverty in India increased or decreased
- What are the objectives of inflation
- How do I fix an underslab leak
- How developed is Singapore
- What are Nestle’s core competencies
- Whats the harm of technology