Level: Junior, Middle School
Grade: Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8
Age: 8-11 yrs, 11-14 yrs
Written by: Nancy Tompkins [Nancy is an art teacher at St. Luke's School in New York City]
This lesson encourages drawing skills, imagination, and a sense of humor. Students will also learn about adjectives and nouns.
Students will build upon their drawing skills, imagination, and senses of humor as they learn about adjectives and nouns.
- Adjective: An adjective modifies a noun or a pronoun by describing, identifying, or quantifying words. An adjective usually precedes the noun or the pronoun which it modifies. (ie: a blue truck; a happy baby; a sneaky bird)
- Noun: A noun is a word used to name a person, animal, place, thing, and abstract idea.
What You Need:
- coloring tools (optional)
- list of adjectives (provided by teacher)
- list of nouns (provided by teacher)
What You Do:
- I started out by cutting up many little strips of paper.
- On one pile of paper strips I wrote adjectives, and on another, nouns (I made the words simpler or more sophisticated according to the age group.)
- I put the strips face down into two separate boxes.
- Each student took two strips from the adjective box and one from the noun box.
- They then had to do a drawing of what the words meant when put together.
- “Intelligent skinny poodle”
- “Bratty angelic snowman”
- “Friendly messy pencil”
- “Tiny wiggly office building”
Find more at the Adjective Noun generator! http://creativityforyou.com/combomaker.html
- The trick is to think about adjectives that are easy to portray.
Students love this project!
tough, blond moose
large, red-headed flower pot
Images: Art Projects for GrownUps
- Are tanks in tank museums still functional
- Who is the best female spy ever
- What does karaoke help with
- What are the human limitations 1
- What does final notice mean in USPS
- How long could I survive in lava
- Do you know any perfect parents
- Is vinyl siding superior to wood siding
- Where process is stored in operating system
- What does a rail gun fire
- What are CodeIgniter and Laravel
- Does consumer behavior change overtimes
- What is IJCAI 2018 Global Hackathon
- What army countries accept undocumented foreign volunteer
- Is ClassPass already doomed to fail
- What is the shortest poem ever written
- What is inbound digital marketing