Drive By Wire
What is drive by wire, and how does it differ from a cable-actuated throttle?
Contributed by: Enginebasics.com
Drive by wire throttle is something that has really started to take over when it comes to controlling the throttle butterfly. In the past, a cable controlled the throttle bodies throttle plate. This cable was directly hooked to the accelerator pedal. This was convenient because there was a direct connection between the acceleration of the vehicle and the drivers’ right foot. Manufacturers are starting to steer more towards using an electronic throttle for control now.
How Drive By Wire Works
Unlike a cable throttle where you actually pull the throttle butterfly, in a drive by wire set-up your right foot is actually just connected to the ecu that monitors where the accelerator pedal is in its travel. That xsignal is then relayed to an actuator motor that controls the throttle butterfly. There is now no direct link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle of the car.
Why are companies making the change?
For starters the packaging of a drive by wire set-up is much easier than a cable. Lets face it. A wire not only is smaller, but can’t be bent and made to run anywhere. Next would be the ability of the car to control throttle inputs now for systems like traction control, stability control, accident management control, and all the other new control systems that auto manufacturers are coming up with.
Downsides of drive by wire
With anything that becomes more complicated, also comes more area to fail. Toyota, while one of the first companies to be hammered by this in 2010, will most likely not be the last. As our automobiles become more and more controlled by complex electronics, we are only setting up more areas for malfunctions or failures. In the end, its innovation that keeps the cars on the road getting better and its our job here at enginebasics.com to make sure we keep you up to date on all the newest changes.
ATTENTION READER:If you enjoyed the information and article you just read be sure to check out our newly released book with even more exciting photo's and information:
How to Turbocharge and Tune your Engine
- Is coconut oil the best skin moisturizer
- What is the easiest home accounting program
- How important is self love?no_redirect=1
- How many Pokemons are there
- What is the plural of focus
- How do I chargeback on PayPal
- How do I enable notifications
- Whats your favorite famous photograph
- Who made churches
- Should children be celebrities
- Are all intelligent person wise
- Can an animal get Down syndrome
- Is DTU heavily populated
- What can you do to provoke ghosts
- Why did Beerus want to destroy Earth
- What is the skill difference between soldiers
- What are some open problems in bioinformatics
- What is the typical work in Denmark
- How rice water helps in skin glow