Your chances of encountering a mountain lion are small. However, mountain lion attacks have been on the rise as humans increasingly enter these cats’ territory. If at any time you spot a mountain lion, report the sighting or encounter to your local forest ranger station or visitor center as soon as possible.
Mountain lion facts
- The mountain lion is also known as cougar, panther, or puma. Body coloration can range from tan to gray and cubs are usually covered with blackish brown spots.
- Adult males may be more than 8 feet long (from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail), and can weigh between 130 and 150 pounds. Adult females can be 7 feet long and weigh between 65 and 90 pounds.
- Generally speaking, mountain lions can be found wherever deer are present. Their usual habitat is steep, rocky canyons or mountainous terrain.
- Mountain lions can be found in deserts as well as coastal forests, and from sea level to 10,000-foot elevations.
- An adult male's home range is typically more than 100 square miles and females generally use smaller areas, approximately 20 to 60 square miles
Hiking and camping in mountain lion habitat
- Do not hike alone. Go in groups, with adults supervising children.
- Avoid dawn and dusk excursions.
- Keep children close to you. Animals seem especially drawn to children.
- Pick up small children. The mountain lion will see small children as easier prey.
- Do not approach a lion. Most mountain lions will try to avoid confrontation, so give them a way to escape.
- Do not run from a lion. Running may stimulate a mountain lion's instinct to chase.
- Do not crouch down or bend over. A human standing does not resemble a mountain lion's natural prey.
- Do all you can to appear larger. Raise your arms. Open your jacket if you are wearing one. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly in a loud voice.
- Fight back if attacked. Mountain lions usually try to bite the head or neck; try to remain standing and face the attacking animal.
Remember: You are responsible for your safety and for the safety of those around you.
- Can beggars be made rich through alms
- What are the problems with Dropbox
- What is beauty photography
- Are road trips bad for your car
- Can diamond be in a liquid state
- What meaning can be gleaned from life
- Do cats have packs
- How do I identify smart money
- What is activation function in deep learning
- What are two common selling methods
- How did DC Comics start
- What are YouTube TV promo codes
- How can I photograph jewelry successfully
- How are friendships at age 50
- What is the process of reducing NADH
- Are public or private colleges cheaper
- What does built not bought mean
- What is Apache Tajo