First audiences saw him as Seventh-day Adventist and war hero Desmond Doss in Hacksaw Ridge. A few months later, they saw him as Rodrigo, a Jesuit missionary persecuted for his faith in Silence.
Actor Andrew Garfield says he fell in love on the sets, but not in a way he expected.
"What was really easy was falling in love with this person, was falling in love with Jesus Christ. That was the most surprising thing," Garfield tells America Magazine. "God! That was the most remarkable thing—falling in love, and how easy it was to fall in love with Jesus."
The interview with America isn't the first time the amazing Spider-Man talked about his faith.
"It was difficult to live up to that goodness, that purity, that guilelessness and childlikeness," Garfield told Relevant of his Hacksaw Ridge role. "It's hard to hang around with him because I would disappoint myself when the day was over. I would fall back into my own flawed nature, my own jealousies and insecurities, my own irritations that just weren't present as I was inhabiting Desmond."
Of his role in Silence, Garfield says he studied the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola. These routines began to grow his faith.
Upon completion of the Exercises, Garfield was "was filled up with all this information and all this longing to spread the teachings of Christ, which I truly started to adore."
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.
Jan / Feb 2020
Your TurnComment Guidelines
- What makes my life a priority
- How do you maintain touchscreens
- Why does timber expand when wet
- What is a true democratic nation
- What is the color of fear
- How is poverty political
- Is constantly positively thinking lying to life
- Can we rename India to Bharat
- Why do students get so much homework
- What if there were no clocks
- Why do people dislike asexuals
- What are your views on Markandey Katju
- How do I reduce shin pains
- Is acetone a carcinogen
- Who is considered Bangladeshs greatest leader
- What are the disadvantages of weekly facials
- What is Capstan lathe
- How large is size 1x